[RC5] AVG detects dnet.exe as a trojan and deletes it

Kevin McCoy kgmccoy at idk-inc.com
Mon Sep 17 21:37:14 EDT 2007

Anonymous wrote:
> For those who would rather stay with their existing antivirus
> solutions, though, isn't it possible to tell the antivirus program to
> exempt it from scanning? Every antivirus program that I've used has
> had that ability.

It wasn't immediately obvious in AVG as to how one exempts a program
from deletion. Their tech support suggested turning off heuristics to
prevent it from tracking down and killing the dnet service.

I haven't tried that yet, since I am pretty mad about the whole thing.
Grisoft's attitude about Dnet does not inspire me to want to spend more
than a couple minutes on working around the problem. I will wait and see
if they respond to my request to remove dnet from its list of Trojans.
If they don't respond or do so negatively, I'm deleting the whole works.

I normally use CA eTrust for our corporate AV, but it conflicts with a
secure/encrypted web server proxy used by the law enforcement folks at
my company. My users had to de-install eTrust to allow the proxy to work
and replace it with *something-anything* to keep the malware at bay.
Grisoft AVG appears to be a poor choice.

CA eTrust and CA PestPatrol to their credit, leaves Dnet alone.

Best regards,

Kevin G. McCoy