[RC5] submitting new processors

Steven Nikkel steven_nikkel at ertyu.org
Tue Feb 10 20:18:19 EST 2009

We value the bug reports as without them we wouldn't be able support many
CPUs properly. We try to get fixes completed as soon as possible, but
it may take some time for changes in source to trickle out in new
clients builds. We are also hampered by incomplete information and
changes Intel/AMD etc. make without documentation as well as a lack of
time from our volunteers.

*
To complete the fix we absolutely require the complete client outputs
generated when run with the -cpuinfo option as well as -bench. These must
be from the latest client version, often the pre-release version.
*

Sometimes the newest version is not available for the platform the reporter is
using, as such we may have to wait for information from a newer build.

Because we don't have direct access to the hardware, we cannot test the
fixes, as such there are sometimes cases were we don't get it right the
first time.

> It takes ages to get anything done, then it's trouble because they don't
understand a thing (claiming a client is already released that
recognizes this CPU when it isn't) and that trouble takes another age.
In my humble opinion, don't bother.