[RC5] gpu client

SideWinder sidewinder at kolumbus.fi
Mon Feb 16 15:49:55 EST 2009

On 16.2.2009 16:50, bert wrote:
> I guess that means I'm going to overclock my card then.....lol
> Impressive numbers SideWinder!

That's probably not advisable, at least unless you have improved
cooling. Dnetc will load the GPU much harder in terms of total
utilization over time periods measured in several minutes, than any game
or benchmark tool for example (excluding stress testers like S&M). So if
you OC the card enough to cause any visible artifacts in games, it will
likely screw up the RC5 decryption calculation also (at least run it
with the "-test" mode command immediately after running normally for a
while).

Also, expect much reduced electrical life for the card for any serious
OC without improved cooling and running this application. Running CUDA
is very different than trying to barely get 3DMark to pass with a higher
clock and letting it cool between attempts. At least with my current
card, the equilibrium temps with Dnetc running are much higher than the
average temp during 3DMark Vantage (stock cooling, which is a two slot
copper heatpipe HSF). The card is "factory OC'd" by using select
silicon, faster spec memory and a custom HSF, it is guaranteed (or more
accurately, was guaranteed) to run anything at the factory default
clocks, which are higher than nVidia spec for the GPU.

I have ruined a few cards with too aggressive overclocking, even without
running anything 100% 24/7 over CUDA/Stream.