[RC5] CUDA for Windows questions

Roderick Fikel rfikel at yahoo.com
Wed May 6 09:19:28 EDT 2009

I have a few quick questions regarding Cuda.  I just purchased a new "gaming" system and have been thinking about the GPU crunching that some of you enjoy. Up until now I have ignored all the CUDA talk because I didn't have a system with a V card that would run it. Basicly I am a newby to the whole Cuda thing.

I've spent the morning reading about Cuda and the Cuda forums over at Nvidia. But I don't feel confident that installing the driver won't hose my nice shiney new system. So here are a couple quick questions

Will installing CUDA drivers for my video card replace the current drivers that shipped with my system  or will they work along side the original drivers?

Will installing the CUDA drivers make game play less enjoyable or limit the system?

After installing the new drivers will the graphics controlls be replaced?

Would my wife notice the changes? (LOL)

System specifics
ASUS GT50vt-x5

OS Name    Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium
Version    6.0.6001 Service Pack 1 Build 6001
Other OS Description     64
System Manufacturer    ASUSTeK Computer Inc.
System Model    G50VT
System Type    x64-based PC
Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     P7450  @ 2.13GHz, 2133 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date    American Megatrends Inc. 210, 1/8/2009
SMBIOS Version    2.5
Locale    United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer    Version = "6.0.6001.22150"
Installed Physical Memory (RAM)    4.00 GB
Total Physical Memory    4.00 GB
Total Virtual Memory    8.17 GB