[RC5] CUDA for Windows questions

bert bertodell at suddenlink.net
Wed May 6 09:43:54 EDT 2009

Roderick Fikel wrote:
> I have a few quick questions regarding Cuda.  I just purchased a new "gaming" system and have been thinking about the GPU crunching that some of you enjoy. Up until now I have ignored all the CUDA talk because I didn't have a system with a V card that would run it. Basicly I am a newby to the whole Cuda thing.
>
> I've spent the morning reading about Cuda and the Cuda forums over at Nvidia. But I don't feel confident that installing the driver won't hose my nice shiney new system. So here are a couple quick questions
>
> Will installing CUDA drivers for my video card replace the current drivers that shipped with my system  or will they work along side the original drivers?
>
> Will installing the CUDA drivers make game play less enjoyable or limit the system?
>
> After installing the new drivers will the graphics controlls be replaced?
>
> Would my wife notice the changes? (LOL)
>

> System specifics
> ASUS GT50vt-x5
>
> OS Name    Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium
> Version    6.0.6001 Service Pack 1 Build 6001
> Other OS Description     64
> System Manufacturer    ASUSTeK Computer Inc.
> System Model    G50VT
> System Type    x64-based PC
> Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     P7450  @ 2.13GHz, 2133 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
> BIOS Version/Date    American Megatrends Inc. 210, 1/8/2009
> SMBIOS Version    2.5
> Locale    United States
> Hardware Abstraction Layer    Version = "6.0.6001.22150"
> Installed Physical Memory (RAM)    4.00 GB
> Total Physical Memory    4.00 GB
> Total Virtual Memory    8.17 GB

What video card do you have installed? Have you run the dnetc client
before? I'd say using the latest nvidia drivers you would probably see a
difference in your games(your wife would be very happy depending the
game she plays) in both visual and performance. I'm currently using a
GTX 260 with the dnetc cuda client and play my games without any trouble
and get about 18k  stat units a day

Bert