[RC5] CUDA for Windows questions

Roderick Fikel rfikel at yahoo.com
Wed May 6 10:27:26 EDT 2009

----- Original Message ----
From: bert <bertodell at suddenlink.net>
To: D.net Discussion <rc5 at lists.distributed.net>
Sent: Wednesday, May 6, 2009 10:17:00 AM
Subject: Re: [RC5] CUDA for Windows questions

Roderick Fikel wrote:
> oderick Fikel wrote:
>
>> I have a few quick questions regarding Cuda.  I just purchased a new "gaming" system and have been thinking about the GPU crunching that some of you enjoy. Up until now I have ignored all the CUDA talk because I didn't have a system with a V card that would run it. Basicly I am a newby to the whole Cuda thing.

>> I've spent the morning reading about Cuda and the Cuda forums over at Nvidia. But I don't feel confident that installing the driver won't hose my nice shiney new system. So here are a couple quick questions
>>
>> Will installing CUDA drivers for my video card replace the current drivers that shipped with my system  or will they work along side the original drivers?
>>
>> Will installing the CUDA drivers make game play less enjoyable or limit the system?
>>
>> After installing the new drivers will the graphics controlls be replaced?
>>
>> Would my wife notice the changes? (LOL)
>>

>> System specifics
>> ASUS GT50vt-x5
>>
>> OS Name    Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium
>> Version    6.0.6001 Service Pack 1 Build 6001
>> Other OS Description     64
>> System Manufacturer    ASUSTeK Computer Inc.
>> System Model    G50VT
>> System Type    x64-based PC
>> Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     P7450  @ 2.13GHz, 2133 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
>> BIOS Version/Date    American Megatrends Inc. 210, 1/8/2009
>> SMBIOS Version    2.5
>> Locale    United States
>> Hardware Abstraction Layer    Version = "6.0.6001.22150"
>> Installed Physical Memory (RAM)    4.00 GB
>> Total Physical Memory    4.00 GB
>> Total Virtual Memory    8.17 GB

> What video card do you have installed? Have you run the dnetc client
> before? I'd say using the latest nvidia drivers you would probably see a
> difference in your games(your wife would be very happy depending the
> game she plays) in both visual and performance. I'm currently using a
> GTX 260 with the dnetc cuda client and play my games without any trouble
> and get about 18k  stat units a day
>
> Bert
>

> NVidia GeForce 9800m GS
>
> The wiki didn't have it listed as a supported card, but Nvidea does.   I thought I already had the latest drivers. I have been runing the Dnet client for years. Since it's first project I'm pretty sure.
>
> So is there a possibility that I already have cuda drivers installed or is it folly for me to think that?
>
> Driver details: date: 9/19/2008  ver 7.15.11.7914
>
> Rod

http://www.nvidia.com/object/geforce_notebook_winvista_185.81_beta.html
read this,and are you planning on leaving your notebook on all the time?
I think it' s really only worth it if you are on 24/7 like I am with my
quad core system(plus one other full time 260 and sometimes a 260 with
my youngest). been doing RC5-72 since it came out and only when they
first started with the cuda client I perked up seeing a excellent chance
to finally do a million blocks and beyond. I only hope I'll see a
released cuda client soon and not beta so I can go well beyond the
million I'm sooo close to(I estimate over 4 million this year if there's
no break)

Bert