[RC5] CUDA for Windows questions

SideWinder sidewinder at kolumbus.fi
Wed May 6 11:52:53 EDT 2009

On 6.5.2009 16:19, Roderick Fikel wrote:
> Will installing CUDA drivers for my video card replace the current drivers that shipped with my system  or will they work along side the original drivers?

The CUDA driver works "along side" the DirectX and OpenGL drivers
(formerly known as "ForceWare"), but they are packaged in the same
installer. The CUDA driver requires support from the other parts of the
driver package, so AFAIK it's not possible to use old non-CUDA-aware
drivers with the CUDA driver.

So the short answer is yes, the driver package that includes the CUDA
driver will replace the drivers that shipped with your system, but on
the other hand, the new DirectX and OpenGL drivers will probably be much
better anyway.

> Will installing the CUDA drivers make game play less enjoyable or limit the system?

No (assuming you don't run CUDA applications at the same time as playing
or otherwise using the system).

> After installing the new drivers will the graphics controlls be replaced?

The driver spesific controlls will be replaced. Whether they will be any
or much different than your current controls depends on your current
versions.

> Would my wife notice the changes? (LOL)

Most probably yes, if you run the CUDA client all the time with that
system. As has been suggested by others, for no usability impact, you
should set it up to launch with the screensaver launcher. If you also
wish to run the CPU client at the same time as well, you need to add one
system environment variable. Instructions are here:
<http://lists.distributed.net/pipermail/rc5/2009-February/041637.html>