[RC5] Hardware for replacement stats server

bert bertodell at suddenlink.net
Fri Sep 3 16:35:29 EDT 2010

  On 9/3/2010 1:18 PM, Jeff Lawson wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> Just wanted to let you all know that we are close to having some
> replacement hardware for our stats server.  We're currently planning
> on replacing "fritz" with two separate 1U servers that are being
> decommissioned and donated to us.  This should give us some more
> flexibility in terms of redundancy and database replication.
>
> However, before bringing these machines online we need to upgrade
> their RAM and disks.  What we're looking for are:
>
> 16x DDR2 PC2-3200 Registered ECC, or faster (1GB or 2GB sticks)
> 4x SATA drives 3.5", 7200rpm or faster (1TB or 2TB)
>
> If you think you have some spare RAM or disks matching these specs and
> would like to donate to us, email me directly and we can work out the
> shipping details.
>

> We're also accepting creative suggestions for the new names of these
> two machines.  Try to think of a clever naming theme for the two
> machines that somehow relates to statistics, accounting, databases,
> and cows, if possible!
>

> Thanks ]:8)

DDR2? Isn't that kind of old ram to be using? What kind of cpu's are
going to be used? I would hope for a dual quad core system for both 1U
servers you are getting and hopefully any parts that fail are easily and
very quickly replaceable and not proprietary as so have very minimum
down time if at all.

Bert