[RC5] Hardware for replacement stats server

Jeff Lawson bovine at distributed.net
Fri Sep 3 18:21:21 EDT 2010

On Fri, Sep 3, 2010 at 3:35 PM, bert <bertodell at suddenlink.net> wrote:

> DDR2? Isn't that kind of old ram to be using? What kind of cpu's are going
> to be used? I would hope for a dual quad core system for both 1U servers you
> are getting and hopefully any parts that fail are easily and very quickly
> replaceable and not proprietary as so have very minimum down time if at all.

As I mentioned, these are donated machines that are being
decommissioned so they are not modern hardware...  However they have
the benefit of being available to us at zero cost.  (If you happen to
be aware of another source of rackmount machines of high quality and
capability but at zero cost, we would certainly be interested in
hearing about it!)

Our CPU demands are not currently very high, based on the utilization
on the current hardware.  See http://faq.distributed.net/?file=63

We'll be getting a mix of old HP ProLiant 140 and 145 (G2) systems
with built-in LOM, so we should be able to remotely handle more
conditions that would previous require on-site intervention.
Replacement components should be readily available since we'll
actually be receiving a total of 6 of these machines and keeping the
remaining 4 in storage.  Since we'll be running two machines with
failover capability between them, this should hopefully minimize
visible outages.

]:8)