[RC5] Hardware for replacement stats server

waldo kitty wkitty42 at windstream.net
Sat Sep 4 02:29:21 EDT 2010

On 9/3/2010 16:35, bert wrote:
> DDR2? Isn't that kind of old ram to be using? What kind of cpu's are going to be
> used? I would hope for a dual quad core system for both 1U servers you are
> getting and hopefully any parts that fail are easily and very quickly
> replaceable and not proprietary as so have very minimum down time if at all.

please forgive the "attack" but damn... i've seen way tooo many arguments in the
last month about using X hardware when supposedly Y hardware is ""better""...
whatever is available for the cost is the "best" hardware... i'm just very tired
of seeing way too much donated equipment being put down in the last year(s) and
especially when most of it out performs newer stuff in all too many ways...

apologies to all but i'm serious... whining about "why isn't it the latest and
greatest" really get my goat... especially since i'm sitting here with several
frontend servers running 200mhz PII CPUs with only 768M of RAM and another few
backend servers with maybe 1.5G or 2G of RAM with only 800Mhz to 1.2Ghz CPU...
what the hell is it with everyone thinking that we/they need the latest and
supposedly greatest CPU and technology when, in fact, it proves to be less
speedy and accurate that the older stuffings???

it just doesn't make any sense to me with my 30+ years working with this
stuff... none at all... :( :( :(