[RC5] Hardware for replacement stats server

bert bertodell at suddenlink.net
Tue Sep 7 16:43:53 EDT 2010

  On 9/7/2010 10:57 AM, Alex S. wrote:

> Agreed with the below. Get over it, it's donated. And it will work
> just fine.
>

> > Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2010 02:29:21 -0400
> > From: wkitty42 at windstream.net
> > To: rc5 at lists.distributed.net
> > Subject: Re: [RC5] Hardware for replacement stats server
> >
> > On 9/3/2010 16:35, bert wrote:
> > > DDR2? Isn't that kind of old ram to be using? What kind of cpu's
> are going to be
> > > used? I would hope for a dual quad core system for both 1U servers
> you are
> > > getting and hopefully any parts that fail are easily and very quickly
> > > replaceable and not proprietary as so have very minimum down time
> if at all.
> >

> > please forgive the "attack" but damn... i've seen way tooo many
> arguments in the
> > last month about using X hardware when supposedly Y hardware is
> ""better""...
> > whatever is available for the cost is the "best" hardware... i'm
> just very tired
> > of seeing way too much donated equipment being put down in the last
> year(s) and
> > especially when most of it out performs newer stuff in all too many
> ways...
> >
> > apologies to all but i'm serious... whining about "why isn't it the
> latest and
> > greatest" really get my goat... especially since i'm sitting here
> with several
> > frontend servers running 200mhz PII CPUs with only 768M of RAM and
> another few
> > backend servers with maybe 1.5G or 2G of RAM with only 800Mhz to
> 1.2Ghz CPU...
> > what the hell is it with everyone thinking that we/they need the
> latest and
> > supposedly greatest CPU and technology when, in fact, it proves to
> be less
> > speedy and accurate that the older stuffings???
> >
> > it just doesn't make any sense to me with my 30+ years working with
> this
> > stuff... none at all... :( :( :(

I have been using computers since the mainframe days(since 1974) and
always have used newer technology when it came available. The  fact that
BOTH of you still want to use outdated stuff doesn't bother me,you can
be "behind the pack" so to speak and I have no need to "get over it"
since it's irrelevant.

Bert