[RC5] power consumption

Mike Reed mikereedwt at gmail.com
Tue Jul 3 03:59:15 EDT 2012

Hi,

Do you remember when they said it would take that long to crack an RC5-56
message?

Paul makes a valid point, but I hope that nobody folds their tents in the
hope of saving the environment.

Power consumption for the project probably reached its zenith when the user
population used primarily Pentium 4 systems. Core 2 based (and the newer
Core i series) are far more power efficient even at full load.

There are other developments to consider. Many utility firms now generate
electricity using renewable sources. In my own corner, we have 3 kW coming
from solar panels on the roof (and they say it rains every day in London...)

I'm just glad you're all here.

Mike