[RC5] power consumption

Kevin G. McCoy kgmccoy at idk-inc.com
Tue Jul 3 16:48:22 EDT 2012

On 7/2/2012 2:37 PM, Relkin, Paul wrote:
> A 2012 Radeon HD 7970 GPU uses 215 additional watts when crunching
> RC5-72. Completing the rest of RC5-72 using only Radeon HD 7970s would
> consume 77 million kilowatt hours of electricity. If participants pay
> 10 cents per kilowatt hour, they would be donating $7.7 million of
> electricity. This would emit about 100 million pounds of carbon
> dioxide, as much as 5 million gallons of gas. Currently, most
> distributed.net clients are running on hardware that is less efficient
> than that.

Why stop doing just Dnet?  Even your Prius has a big carbon footprint.
Get rid of it!  I say we leave the grid completely, move into caves,
catch our dinner with our bare hands and eat it raw. Lights? Heat?
Refrigeration? Who needs it!  Let's get back to basics like our
ancestors from 100,000 years ago!

--

Best regards,

Kevin G. McCoy