[RC5] update video driver, but not CUDA

Mike Burgess mike_burgess at yahoo.com
Wed May 30 09:14:17 EDT 2012

problem:  I'm running a lower end desktop, and just updated my video card to a nvidia 8800 card with fan. Still using very old driver from old fanless card and CUDA 3 w/CUDA3 client.   The "drivers" for the new card, when installed, are likely to "upgrade" my CUDA and spoil my functionality with the client.  But the new driver has automatic fan speed control, so I wont have to use nvidia Inspector manually to adjust the fan speed.

 Any experience/suggestions on how to retain the cuda 3 package (which I recall was difficult to locate the first time) or automate the fan speed which is the real task I need ?

Mike