[RC5] 10 years

Philippe Faure philippe at faure.ca
Fri Oct 12 22:21:43 EDT 2012

We have completed 2.5% in 10 years.

What are we going to learn when we have actually cracked this code?
That using brute force may keep data safe for 10 or more years.  But
what would have happened if it was the second key tried, or the last
one? It is just the luck of the draw of when we find the correct key.

Previous tests were useful.  They provided reasonable benchmark of how
safe a encryption key is, but since most if not all website, banking,
etc use 128 bit, testing a low 72 and finding that it will take more
than 200+ years to try every key is a little far fetches.

I would like to suggest that more emphasis be put onto  Golomb rulers,
or helping out the ... at home setup which all have scientific benefits.

Well at least those are my two cents worth.

Philippe

P.S., I am already putting most of my eggs into the Golomb basket, for
those of you who are wondering.