[RC5] how to install client on kubuntu precise

waldo kitty wkitty42 at windstream.net
Tue Dec 3 14:44:52 EST 2013

On 12/3/2013 1:56 AM, Roman Trunov wrote:
> waldo kitty wrote:
>
>> ok, that's actually expected... so we'll try it with sudo...
>
> Yes, it must be run with sudo.
>
>> user at machine:~/distributed.net$ sudo ./dnetc -install
>> dnetc: Unable to obtain canonical path to executable.
>
> sudo was changed some time ago. don't know is it ubuntu-specific change or
> global, but now by default it blocks access to some information required by
> client. I had same problem. You must use some sudo switch.
>
> I think you must use "sudo -E .....". (if I'm wrong, just "man sudo" and look
> for suspicious options which could "allow" or "pass" something).

thanks... that was the answer...

> After installation, don't forget to check created script and verify all
> pathnames.

yeah, that definitely had to be done because the client var was set to sudo
instead of dnetc...

> Also I prefer to run client "su"'ed to my user account (otherwise
> you'll could have problems with files created with root-only permissions in your
> home directory).

i have another system running the client like this... all the buffer files are
owned by the user but the logs are owned by root... how do you get it to su to
the username and supply the password automatically?