[RC5] how to install client on kubuntu precise

Roman Trunov proxyma at tula.net
Mon Dec 9 05:23:33 EST 2013

waldo kitty wrote:

>> Also I prefer to run client "su"'ed to my user account (otherwise
>> you'll could have problems with files created with root-only
>> permissions in your home directory).

> i have another system running the client like this... all the buffer
> files are owned by the user but the logs are owned by root... how do you
> get it to su to the username and supply the password automatically?

Only newly created files becomes owned by root. Probably early you run
client in this directory as user, so buffers are already there, and
their permissions will be not changed.

Following simple trick works for me. In the startup script, under start)
case, change line which runs client to:

su username -c "$CLIENT -quiet $STARTOPTS" # -quiet is 'mandatory' here.

i.e. "su username -c command", command itself must be in double quotes
because it contains spaces but must be passed as single parameter to
"su". No need to specify password because "su" is running from root
context and could became anybody.

Don't forget to check permissions on client files, especially buffers -
make sure no root-owned files left.