[RC5] Cuda client

Joseph Kaye jkaye at isd.net
Thu Jan 31 14:05:59 EST 2013

On 1/31/2013 12:49 PM, bert wrote:
> So apparently anyone who buys a 600 or 700 series Nvidia card(when the
> 700 comes out or any later cards) is screwed and it would be no use to
> run the distributed.net client even when Cuda has moved far away from
> 3.1 which is old? Distributed.net NEEDS to put this information on their
> front page that they no longer can put out a client that can support the
> newer cards.  What a damn waste and to think after 13 years the brick
> wall is beginning to appear....
>

> Bert
I think that's just a little extreme.

The cards do still work, so you're not "screwed", they're just not
faster than the older cards when it comes to DNETC.  I do not believe
the version of CUDA has anything to do with it.

If you have v5 of CUDA installed on your system, it will run apps made
for CUDA 3.x just fine.

If anyone is to blame, it would be NVidia, as they made the change to
their GPU.  On the other hand, when Mike Reed and myself both told you
earlier that the AMD based cards were far faster, you didn't listen...

--Joseph