[RC5] Win32 client installer deemed 'malicious' by Chrome

waldo kitty wkitty42 at windstream.net
Tue Jan 7 20:54:35 EST 2014

On 1/7/2014 5:24 PM, Mike Brown wrote:
> After downloading the Win32 client installer, Chrome tells me
> the .msi "appears malicious" and prompts me to discard it:
> http://hyperreal.org/~mike/tmp/dnetc/dnetc-win32-x86-set....msi_appears_malicious.PNG

this is most likely because some miscreants set up something many years ago to
install and run the client surreptitiously on other's machines without their
approval... we (the whole project) have been dealing with this for over a decade
or so... i can't recall when i joined the project with my small herd of boxen
but i've been here since roughly 1997... sometime around RC5-56, IIRC...
definitely since before DES2-2 was solved by EFF's special DES cracking machine
which lead to the US gov't basically being forced to change their default
mandated use of DES2 for gov't encryption ;)