[RC5] Amazon EC2 Configuration for GPU Instance

Pete Wilcock pete.wilcock at gmail.com
Tue Nov 11 19:12:44 EST 2014

Hi folks,

Had some trouble submitting to the list earlier so this is attempt #2!

As a long-time user of the client faithfully running RC5-72, I thought it
would be 'fun' to see if I could make the client work on a GPU instance on
Amazon Web Services (g2.2xlarge).

Sadly I have zero experience of the actual mechanics behind how the client
works, but have dutifully followed tutorials for installing CUDA 6.5,
OpenCL, and PyOpenCL on the Ubuntu instance.

Despite my best efforts, when I run the client (v2.9111.520 PRE Linux) I
get the following:

[Nov 11 18:05:30 UTC] No OpenCL platforms available!
[Nov 11 18:05:30 UTC] Unable to initialize OpenCL.
[Nov 11 18:05:30 UTC] *Break* Shutting down...

I am possibly doing something rudimentarily stupid, or there may be some
fundamental incompatibility here that I'm not aware of, but if anyone can
point me in the right direction I'd be most grateful.