[RC5] Amazon EC2 Configuration for GPU Instance

Kees Nuyt k.nuyt at zonnet.nl
Wed Nov 12 16:21:04 EST 2014

On Wed, 12 Nov 2014 00:12:44 +0000, you wrote:

>Hi folks,
>
>Had some trouble submitting to the list earlier so this is attempt #2!
>
>As a long-time user of the client faithfully running RC5-72, I thought it
>would be 'fun' to see if I could make the client work on a GPU instance on
>Amazon Web Services (g2.2xlarge).
>
>Sadly I have zero experience of the actual mechanics behind how the client
>works, but have dutifully followed tutorials for installing CUDA 6.5,
>OpenCL, and PyOpenCL on the Ubuntu instance.
>
>Despite my best efforts, when I run the client (v2.9111.520 PRE Linux) I
>get the following:
>
>[Nov 11 18:05:30 UTC] No OpenCL platforms available!
>[Nov 11 18:05:30 UTC] Unable to initialize OpenCL.
>[Nov 11 18:05:30 UTC] *Break* Shutting down...
>
>I am possibly doing something rudimentarily stupid, or there may be some
>fundamental incompatibility here that I'm not aware of, but if anyone can
>point me in the right direction I'd be most grateful.

I think (most) Amazon instances you can rent are virtual
machines on headless systems.

Servers typically don't need any human interface devices, like
keyboard, mouse and screens. So, they don't contain any video
hardware, thus no GPU.

Even if the physical servers do have some video hardware, it's
probably rudimentory (no fast GPU) and not exposed to the
virtual machines.

Hope this helps...

--
Regards,