[stats-dev] new ogr-ver-incr method

Jim C. Nasby decibel at distributed.net
Thu Dec 11 13:19:20 EST 2003

On Tue, Dec 09, 2003 at 08:10:51PM +0000, Chris Hodson wrote:
> On 09-Dec-2003, Jim C. Nasby wrote:
> > > 6. Insert day_summary into ogr_summary (could really combine steps 5 and 6)
> > Yeah, you should combine those, otherwise you're needlessly creating a
> > temporary table.
> I don't know that this matters, as it's either an explicit temp table or an
> system one, but it might as well be all together.

Actually, not necessarily true. It will probably use a temp table for a
group by (until we go to 7.4 anyway), but I think it'll still write to a
second temp table if that's what you tell it to do.

> The real issue here is "Do youy think it's worth debugging what we have, or
> should I go with a simpler way first that gets us half way to our speed
> goal, but can be rolled out sooner (probably)."

If you don't think you can have a working full incremental by the time
we start ogr24-2 I think it makes sense to do this intermediate step.
Jim C. Nasby, Database Consultant                  jim at nasby.net