[stats-dev] Re: [RC5] RC5-72

Benjamin Gavin virtual_olympus at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 31 16:04:31 EST 2003

  We need to have the database class implement a set_timeout routine as
suggested by Decibel, we're trying to increase the OO nature of the stats
system, not decrease it.  One of the goals we were/are trying to achieve
with the pgsql translation is to make the database layer provider-agnostic
as much as possible.  We've achieved this fairly handily to this point,
and it doesn't take any more work to do it the right way than the wrong
way.

  On a side note, I've nearly got my local database setup so I should have
an environment fairly soon where retire logic can be tested in a more
controlled fashion.

TheJet

P.S.  We need to get _rid_ of retires, they have been a thorn in the side
of this stats system for far too long.

--- Jean-Edouard BABIN <Jeb at jeb.com.fr> wrote:

> Ok where are here now ;)
> It's ugly but if that work..
>
> on 31/12/03 17:13, « Jim C. Nasby » <decibel at distributed.net> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Dec 30, 2003 at 11:34:10PM +0100, Jean-Edouard BABIN wrote:
> >>
> >> I am not sure i have correctly understand the problem and i'did not
> know php
> >> a lot, but if you want to have
> >> pg_query('SET STATEMENT_TIMEOUT=30000'); for all page and
> >> pg_query('SET STATEMENT_TIMEOUT=15000'); for country page
> >> I think you can try to test the evironment variable REQUEST_URI in
> >> db_pgsql.php.diff and set 15000 or 30000
> >
> > Hrm, kinda ugly (I'd hoped the PHP in the individual pages could
> > over-ride as required), but it might work. On the other hand, I think
> > setting up a set_timeout function in the database class should work.
> >
> > BTW, I greatly appreciated people's suggestions, but it would probably
> > be best if we could move this discussion to
> > stats-dev at lists.distributed.net. :)
> > --
> > Jim C. Nasby, Database Consultant                  jim at nasby.net
> > Member: Triangle Fraternity, Sports Car Club of America
> > Give your computer some brain candy! www.distributed.net Team #1828
> >
> > Windows: "Where do you want to go today?"
> > Linux: "Where do you want to go tomorrow?"
> > FreeBSD: "Are you guys coming, or what?"
> NetBSD: "Can we download you guys ?"
> OpenBSD: "I can't come, the door is firewalled!"
>
> ;)
>
> --
> Jean-Edouard BABIN
> Mail: Jeb at jeb.com.fr