[stats-dev] GUIDs and machine level stats tracking

Jim C. Nasby decibel at distributed.net
Tue Aug 3 17:05:22 EDT 2004

What benefit does using a GUID over a numeric identifier offer? If we
utilized numeric IDs participants would be able to use them without
hitting our website to be assigned one.

As for aggregation we probably have no choice in the matter; the only
reasonable way to do ranking is to aggregate at the participant level.
This is why we use email_rank and don't just hit email_contrib directly.

Other than that, the proposal looks fine. I don't want to work on this
until after we have a working GUID system, though.